Friday, February 23, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia - Movie ("After")


I went to see the Bridge to Terabithia on Monday, February 19th. I was pleased to find that all the science fiction aspects of the movie were there just to enhance Jess and Leslie’s imaginary adventures. I think that if they had the characters just imagine their adventures without showing the viewers what they were seeing, it would not have been very interesting.
I did not like the fact that the producers changed the setting to a more modern time. Perhaps they did this so more children would connect personally with the story, but I think we lost somethings with the change. And it also brought up some conflicts in the story - what female teacher in modern times would even THINK about taking a male child (or any child) alone in a car to an art museum on a weekend?? Unfortunately, the red flags would be up. Your job would be on the line, and news reporters at your door. Well, maybe not right away, but soon. And the modern setting also made us loose our beloved Bess the cow. I really got attached to Bess. Maybe it's because I grew up in suburbia that I long to live on a farm, but I imagined Bess very vividly and even "read" her thoughts.
I was also surprised at the casting of Annasophia Ross as Leslie. She was much to pretty to be mistaken as a boy. Sure, her hair was short, but she looked like a girl, dressed like a girl (maybe not very fashionable - but what boy wears tight shirts and arm warmers?), and acted like a girl.
* * *

The movie made me cry. I expected this, however, because the book made me cry. But I think I cried for different reasons this time. Not for Jess’ pain, but for the pain of my students. Our school suffered a tragic loss of life on Saturday. One of our 8th grade boys died and the effects have been school wide. This boy was imaginative and sweet like Leslie. He had a few close friends; Leslie had Jess. His friends have been changed forever. They have struggled daily since Saturday. As much as I try to imagine how they feel, I can’t. But I remember Jess on that movie screen. His denial. His tears. His rage. His questions about where Leslie will spend eternity. I imagine this is what our departed student’s friends are going through.

No comments: