Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia - The Movie ("Before")




I loved the book but after watching the movie trailer I was a little afraid and annoyed that the book was going to be more science fiction than realistic fiction. However, after reading the article entitled “Bridge to the Past” on the Burlington Free Press (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702110328), I was pleased to know that David Paterson (son of Katherine Paterson and the screen writer and producer of the movie) is “a little annoyed at the movie trailers, which play up the ‘Chronicles of Narnia’-like adventure of Terabithia.” He goes on to state that he understands the company has done this due to “the whole concept of 'selling yourself.”

The clip that is being played in the trailer is of trees coming to life and chasing Jess and Leslie. This scene must be from one of their many imaginary adventures in Terabithia. From David Paterson’s statement, I do not believe that he has turned Terabithia into a magic world where the trees truly are alive; the trees only move because that is what the kids are imagining they are doing.




At least, that is my predication. I hope it is true. I hate it when a movie ruins a perfectly good book.




I was also glad to find out that David Paterson refused to produce a movie that had a "happy ending." He would not simply allow Leslie to break a leg or be put into a coma as so many movie companies wanted to do. He wanted, needed, to stay true to the novel. Not only for his mother, but for the honor of his childhood friend Lisa Hill, whom the character of Leslie was based.



[I will update you on the movie after I see it on Monday, February 19th.]

1 comment:

Amy Stewart said...

I am glad that you investigated the movie a bit. I too am scared that they have taken this wonderful work of art and turned it into another Eragon, Narnia, or Lord of the Ring. I am a lover of fantasy and science fiction but this book is neither. The genre is clearly realistic fiction and if the movie company has messed that up I will be crushed not only for myself but for the millions of kids who will be forever lost to the real beauty of this novel.