Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Van Gogh Cafe by Cynthia Rylant


When I went to pick up this book from the library, I admit that I stuck it on the bottom of my reading pile. The cover did not interest me, neither did the description of magic on the back. [I had the version with the painting on the cover – not the more interesting and contemporary cover that I have posted with this review] I am not a Van Gogh fan, nor am I a fan of magic. And I am a new reader of Cynthia Rylant, so this book was low on my interest.

Finally, I picked the book up, sighed and said to myself “Well, here it goes.” But I must stay, I am impressed. This book showed me why there is all this hype about Rylant’s use of words. I added so many “Wonderful Words” to my list. Actually, they really weren’t “wonderful words” but more like “wonderful phrases.” But, that’s more my style anyway. I have books full of phrases.

The book starts right off with the magic of the Van Gogh Café. At the beginning, Marc starts writing and his café begins to prepare its own food. He doesn’t lift a finger and yet he has perfect meals every time. And this allows him to write. I couldn’t help but wish that it could happen at my house! I wish that the piles of laundry and dishes would take care of themselves; I wish the meals would prepare themselves; I wish the furniture would dust itself (Mostly, I wish the stacks of papers would grade themselves!). I want this magic of the Van Gogh Café so I can focus on my writing. But, alas, I do not live in a fantasy book… at least I can share with Marc his good fortune.

I enjoyed the character of Clara. She is very amusing. At one point she wishes to point out to her father that he is not the one cooking at the café, that it is the magic. But she is scared if she does that then there will be no lemon meringue pies and she is “so fond of lemon meringue pies.” Clara is also very insightful. She does not want to eat the magic muffin because her father tells her to wish before she eats it. She says she has read enough fairy tales to know that wishes can be a blessing and a curse. This reminded me of the short story I read with my students this year – A Monkey’s Paw. In this story, the family wishes upon a mummified monkey’s paw for enough money to pay off their home loan. The next day they find out their son died at a work accident and the company wants to show its condolences by giving them some money – the exact amount that the family had wished for. Then the mother wishes her son back alive, and the father realizes this will too not be a blessing but a curse – their son will alive but be mutilated and deformed. So the father wishes his son back dead.

Another thing I really enjoyed about the book was the transitions between the chapters:
“Perhaps when lightning strikes…”
“Lemon meringue pies can be lovely, but they’re nothing compared to magic muffins…”
Each chapter (except the last two) ends with an ellipsis teasing the reader to dare to read on.
I thought the “star” coming back to the Van Gogh Café (where he had performed when it was a theater) was the most enchanting part of the story. I did not find it sad when Marc and Clara find the old star dead the next morning clutching his photographs. Instead, I found it proper and serene.

6 comments:

Amy Stewart said...

I was also unsure as we began reading Rylant books. I thought "Of all the kids authors I know and love, why do I have to read a whole semesters worth of books from an author I don't know anything about". Boy, was I wrong. I am completely amazed by Rylant's talent. I totally agree with you when you say that her teasing from chapter to chapter kept you going. I did not even glance up from this book until I was finished. I am curious though. Did you notice that the star was homosexual? It was very subtle but it was there. I don't have a problem with it I just thought it was interesting the way she made it almost imperceptable yet very clear at the same time.

Amber Lacy said...

You know, the first time I read that section I thought the same thing. But as I reread it, I thought that his "true love" meant the magic from the theater (now the Van Gogh Cafe). Maybe this is just me being naive, but what do you think?

JulieAnne said...

I love your examples of interesting transitions. She makes you want to keep going. I am going to share this with my 8th grade students who are reluctant readers. I think the short length, the lower level vocabulary, and the magic factor will interest some of the girls. I, too, read "The Monkey's Paw" with my class, and I like your connection between the two stories.

Kathy Kryscio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Kryscio said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book and found several wonderful phrases to add to your journal. I liked your text to self connection, hoping the dishes, laundry and graded papers would take care of themselves. Wouldn't that be a treat! I agree Rylant kept you on the edge of your seat... but did you predict that the actor was going to die? I was shocked and speechless when I read that part, and found myself rereading to ensure I understood correctly. I enjoyed the magic of the story, too, but my favorite magical events were the multiplying muffins and gulls.

P.A. Collet said...

I have not yet read "The Monkey Paw", but your connection makes me curious. Thank you for the idea!

I will read "Monkey Paw" to my class as well as "The Van Gogh Cafe" and help them make the connections, too.