Thursday, February 8, 2007

Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth, by Alison McGhee, illustrated by Harry Bliss


I am new to this whole picture book world. I teach middle school students and I have no children of my own (yet!). I wasn’t read to much as a young child, so when I started becoming interested in reading, I was “too big” for picture books and went straight into chapter books. After reading this book, I don’t think anyone is “too big” for picture books!

As I began this book, I tried to put myself in the mindset of a 6 year old (an easier task than I’d like to admit!). The first words captivated my attention – “I have a secret.” I could almost hear the little black haired child whisper them to me as we get on the bus together. How important is a secret at the age of six!?! And how special does a child feel when that secret shared with them!?! My anticipation soared with the very first page (something that I am not used to after reading so many middle school novels).

The book is about a sweet, naïve little first grade girl that believes the stories of an older second grader. (Oh, how easily children are convinced of crazy things simply because a “bigger kid” told them it was so!) She has been told that her new teacher is really a “three-hundred-year-old alien with a purple tongue” who steals baby teeth in order to live. And what is our first grader’s secret? She has a loose tooth! But she is determined not to let the purple tongued alien get her tooth and loose her chance with the tooth fairy! I won’t spoil the book for those of you who haven’t read it, but it is a great story. A perfect story for any child feeling nervous about the first day of school – or loosing their first tooth!

The format of this story was unique – at least from my limited experience with picture books. Although it incorporated “traditional” text format, most of the story took on a comic book feel with quotation and thought bubbles. This allowed the reader to get a better sense at what each character was going through.

The illustrations in this book were one of the best features. I can tell the illustrator had parents and teachers in mind when he drew the pictures. Some of the pictures contained humor that was definitely above a 6 year-old, like the label on the girl’s drink read “Vegan King.” But most of the humor was not above a child’s level, but might take the keen eye of a loving adult to point out. There were “stories” taking place in the background of the illustrations – a young brother annoying his sister in one scene; his sister duct taping his mouth and hands in the next; then the boy peeling the tape off and sticking his tongue out; and finally the sister dumping the boy’s backpack out when they leave the bus. There is also a pet cat that has definite attitude – and we can enjoy it even more thanks to the thought bubbles. I can imagine sitting with a young child and pointing out these other “stories” and giggling over them.

This book is going on my list for books to read to my “future” children.

4 comments:

LLozaw said...

I love this story! I actually have it in my bin near my desk now to read to my class. I read this sometime during February because it's Dental Health Month. I know it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with cleaning and taking care of your teeth, it's a cute story to start a conversation. My students always enjoy this funny book.

I agree with you that picture books can be for "kids" of all ages!

Carolyn said...

I was sitting with goose bumps as I shared your newfound joy in picture books and their enormous effect on our "sophisticated" affect. I agree that picture books indeed hold a marvelous potential for reaching everybody. I haven't read this book, but your enthusiasm is contagious. My list is getting longer for my next library visit!
-jazzie-carolyn

Kathy Kryscio said...

Amber, I am so excited that you are starting to get into the picture book world. I can tell by your post that you are really pleased with your new found joy. Congratualations! My favorite presenter/ teacher trainer always begins her professional developments for her teachers with a picture book, and always ends her session with one as well. Not only does it give her audience those few minutes to laugh/ be inspired by a book, or allow us to scribble another book title we can share with our students, but it also gives us the pleasure of being read to. I don't think we ever outgrow picture books, even as adults. As far as the actual story, I will definitely have to check out this book as a read aloud with my students. I can tell by your description that they would love the story! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your post and your profile.

Wendy said...

The illustrator of this book, Harry Bliss, is actually coming to talk to our school on March 28th! I will have to let you know what he was like and what he talked about, especially if he says anything specific to this book. :)