Thursday, April 19, 2007

Long Night Moon



I really enjoyed this book! I really enjoyed the illustrations by Mark Siegel. Even though each page is dark and of the night (I'm afraid of the dark!), they were comforting illustrations. The moon shone so brightly and warmly, that even in the cold months you could sense its warmth. I think this book is a great way to get children to appreciate nighttime and not be so scared of being outside in the dark.

I've always been scared of the dark - but it wasn't that bad until I moved from the suburbs out into the country. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the street. So, at night, when I go outside it is dark, like I never knew dark could be! I can't imagine what that kind of darkness is for a child. In this book, the moon plays an important role in lighting the world for all the creatures - the young girl to the raccoon. Even though we don't always have full moons, I think this book would bring comfort to all children who are afraid of the nighttime. Just knowing that the moon is your friend and is up there for you.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

I thought your perception of the country dark being scarier than the city dark was interesting. I grew up in Houston and I have always found the city dark or more specifically who or what could be in it very intimidating. For me it is the country dark in which I find peace. It must be the solitude or that feeling that you are alone in nature that makes me feel so safe. Besides I am a astronomy geek. You need the dark to see the stars:)

Kathy Kryscio said...

Did you read the last page of the book, it is a message from Mark Siegel, the illustrator? I think it speaks directly to the fear of darkness. "When we were young children, night sometimes has a forbidding, or even forbidden quality - it is, after all, time for bed. But its attraction is no less powerful. May the words and the images of Long Night Moon offer a safe invitation to savor the night and celebrate its otherwise hidden wonders." I agree with you and the illustrator, as child... I remember being terrified of that the "boogie man" would jump out of the closet or from under my bed and "get me" during the night. I will definitely share this book with 3rd grade students - I am curious if they will admit they are afraid of the dark?

Amy Stewart said...

Being afraid of the dark is such a universal fear. Both my daughters have night lights. Half the time my youngest still falls asleep with her lamp on. When she falls asleep I tip toe in and turn off the lamp. When my oldest was a preschooler we had a bedtime ritual which consisted of me checking every nook and cranny in the room and driving out the monsters with a "chant". I had almost forgotten about it until my daughter reminded me of it recently (she is 10 now).

It makes me wonder if the Native Americans used the names of the full moon to comfort their children at night. Do you think Native American children were afraid of the dark? My bet would be yes.

windy said...

Funny, when it is dark outside my youngest son always looks for the moon. He seems to settle down once he spots it. I never really thought of it as a source of comfort until I read your blog. I feel like the country dark is scarier also because of the vast emptiness I feel. The city is lit up and full of sounds and people. I find that a bit more comforting.