Thursday, April 26, 2007

Is My Dog a Wolf? How Your Pet Compares to Its Wild Cousin


I checked this book out after a neighbor of mine called and said "I have your wolf." My dog had gone off with another neighbor's dog to play and ended up at this neighbor's house. Granted, my dog is a husky and therefore resembles a wolf, but I thought it was hilarious that I recieved a phone call with someone telling me that they had my wolf.
This book, Is My Dog a Wolf?, is a great informational book for kids. I found it very accessible to even struggling readers. The language is conversational in style, and so it reads smoothly. Each section is only two pages long – on facing pages, so the child can see it all at once and not have to move back and forth. Each section has a large, bright, bold heading in unique fonts to draw attention to it. A child could easily flip through the book to get to the information he/she is looking for.

The photographs in the book are fantastic. The colors are vivid and bright. There are close up shots and distant shots. Each photograph captures the emotion of the animal. There are several great shots of dogs and wolves interacting in playful fighting. When the author explains the posture of frightened, scared, happy, worried, and submissive dogs, there are photos to match each description.

Each photo is important to the section being discussed – you don’t have to wonder why a photo was placed on a certain place. The language of the captions is also simple and conversational.

The author includes one of Aesop’s fables: A Dog & Wolf Fable. This incorporates fiction with nonfiction and allows a struggling reader more opportunity to understand the concept of the difference between wolves and dogs.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Lipp said...

I think that I am going to have to read this book now. I have two wonderful labs/retrievers (at least I think they are wonderful) and I would find it hilarious if someone called and said that they had my wolf, also. I read a book once that taught how to communicate with your dog. It was a fouth grader who recommended it to me, so I went home, read it, and tried out some of the information on my own Socks and Lacey. I was amazed that it worked. Dogs are so intelligent and can make inferences and draw conclusions from our own body stances and facial responses.

JulieAnne said...

What a neat sounding book. So--what's the answer? Is my dog a wolf? Since I have a shrimpy Boston Terrier, I think probably not. Yours might be a probably so!!

Amy Stewart said...

I too am a dog lover. My huband gave me a Yorkshire Terrier Puppy for Christmas. She is 6 months old now and we all love her sooooo much. However, I don't think I have to worry about anyone mistaking her for a wolf (Ha, Ha, Ha). This book sounds interesting. Does the book give information about the evolutionary relationship between dogs and wolves? Thanks for sharing.